Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Morning lavenders

I drive to work Monday through Friday and try to leave my house around 7:20 a.m. Sometimes I'm on time and sometimes I'm running late. Yesterday, was a day I got off to a bit of a late start. My beloved husband (who apparently also loves me) had scrapped a heavy frost off my car windows so I was not further delayed than I would have been.

In any case, I went driving southward up a country lane which runs between two farm fields. The corn stubble in one field on my right hand side was crisp with frost. As the sun rose just over a distant treeline and touched the tops of the plowed rows, I gasped as a brilliant lavender glow appeared in the shadows of the rows. I slowed down. I wanted to just stop the car and jump out and take a photo but I was running late, I was on a main road with cars behind me and I knew the camera would not catch what I was seeing. So I just watched while driving that one mile stretch as the sun moved a little higher on that clear January morning from 7:35 to 7:38. In just that 3 minute time frame, the colors moved from bright lavender to indigo to a dusty purple/blue grey. I know the time of day, the day of the year, the frosted gold of the corn stubble and the weather and the frost on the dark soil all played a part in this visual magic.

And I want to see it again. I want to find a way to record it.

No comments:

Post a Comment